After an intense strength training workout, the body is put into a higher state of metabolic rate, which simply means a higher calorie rate and expenditure. The muscle fibers are worked, challenged, and broken down to re-build to adapt to the stress imposed on it.
During this time, the body has used up its glycogen stores which are responsible for energy. In addition, to repair the muscle fibers that have been torn due to the resistance training, the body needs protein.
Understanding what happens in our body after an intense strength/ metabolic workout, can help us come up with some of the best post workout foods:
- Chocolate Milk
- Protein Shake: scoop of whey protein, banana, blue berries, ice and water
- Almonds (hand full) + piece of fruit: easily transportable and has protein + carbs
- Low Fat Cottage cheese + fruit
- Hard boiled eggs (2-3) + fruit
- Chicken + Broccoli or Spinach +side of Brown rice
- Fish (salmon or tuna) + spinach or asparagus
- Brown rice + Tuna + spinach: easy and simple
- Muscle Milk: easy and convenient
- Protein Bar: BUT direct food sources are better